A little while ago I posted a study guide for the Rapture. Today, I figured I’d share a study guide I use for my classes on the Millennium. The main points are below (I recommend looking up all the passages to go with the short explanations), and if you’d like a fuller list of scripture passages to look at for yourself, download the whole thing: Study Guide for the Millennium (Word)
Revelation 20: The Millennium—The 1000-year reign of Christ on the Earth
How we know it’s coming:
First, God made promise to Abraham and David that haven’t been fulfilled:
1. In Genesis 13:14-17, 15:1-21, and 17:1-8 He promised Abraham that his descendants would possess a certain area of land forever (Gen 13:15, 17:8), and He gave the dimensions of the land (Gen 15:18-21).
2 . In 2 Samuel 7:8-16 He promised David that his royal house (his family), his kingdom (Israel) and his throne (his royal power) would last forever. It is reiterated in many places, including Jeremiah 33:17-26.
Second, the Old Testament is full of predictions about this time. You could say the whole Old Testament is looking forward to this time.
See passages like: Ezekiel 37:21-28, Isaiah 11:1-11, Isaiah 60, Micah 4:1-8.
Third, the New Testament teaches that Jesus will fulfill these Old Testament prophecies. The writers of the NT picked up the OT themes and prophecies and showed how they would be completed. They finish the story.
See passages like: Luke 1:29-33, Acts 1:1-8, Acts 13:21-33, Romans 11:25-27, 1 Corinthians 15:20-25
What it will be like:
1. Jesus will be reigning on Earth. (Isaiah 9:6-7, 11:1-5, Jeremiah 23:5-6, Psalm 2, Daniel 7:13-27)
2. Israel will be the chief nation in the earth. (Isaiah 49:22-23, Isaiah 60, Zechariah 8:20-23)
3. Resurrected saints will reign with Christ. (Daniel 7:18 & 27, 2 Timothy 2:12, Rev 5:10, 1 Cor 6:2-3)
4. It will be a rule of righteousness, holiness, justice, and truth. (Isaiah 32:1, Zechariah 14:20-21, Isaiah 59:16-20, Isaiah 61, Micah 4:1-8)
5. The reign of Christ will be full of glory, and the Holy Spirit. (Isaiah 4:2 & 11:1-2)
6. Satan will be bound and gone for the entire time. (Revelation 20:1-3)
7. The curse on the earth will be removed. (Genesis 3:17-19, Isaiah 35, Isaiah 65:25)
8. The Nations will obey Christ, but unbelief will be possible. (Revelation 20:7-10)
Final Thought: Though something better is coming after it, this kingdom will be almost too great for words. Check out this final Old Testament picture of this time: Jeremiah 31:3-14.