Another good night in the park last night. Here’s the outline from the study…
Finding God’s Will / Study 5 / Our Wills and God’s Will
Four Perspectives on the Connection
John 8:31-32 If you continue in my word, you’ll be my disciples, and you will know the truth…
Psalm 25:8-12 Fearing God gets you taught by God
Romans 1:9-12 We can pray for what we want as we seek to discern God’s will
God’s will doesn’t cancel out Paul’s will. Paul saw room in God’s will for what he wanted. Or, Paul saw that his will and God’s could work together. Once the destiny was decided, Paul had freedom to be Paul. Paul feels submitted to God’s will, but he doesn’t feel God’s will to be oppressive.
John 7:17 If you will to do God’s will, you will know.
- Jesus is teaching about our ability to know whether he is genuine, or a fake.
- He says the ability to know depends on whether or not someone wants to do God’s will.
- in other words…Our desires can determine our capacity for knowledge
- You can’t figure God out, or study his will, apart from wanting to do what he wants.
- So God is really there, and he is just who he is, apart from us. And he is personal. We must allow him to be himself, and we must want to be connected to him, in order to know things about him.
- …the same goes for knowing his will.
- We must refocus our quest onto knowing God, and what he wants….