Last night we continued our study of the Trinity by looking at the Holy Spirit. Here are the notes:
1. How we met Him:
Promised: Ezekiel 36:26-27, Isaiah 42:1
All over Jesus’ life: Luke 1:34-35; 3:15-16; 3:21-22, 4:1-2; 4:14-21
We meet Him in the life of Christ. He is completely involved with everything about Jesus from start to finish.
2. How He relates to the Son & Father:
His relationship to the Father and Son is revealed in Jesus’ teaching:
John 7:37-38 – given to Jesus’ followers
John 14:15-18 – personally distinct
John 15:26-27 – He proceeds from the Father, and is sent by Jesus. He points to Jesus.
John 16:5-15 – He is God with us, doing the work that needs to be done
Matthew 28:19 – He shares God’s name
- The Son was sent from the Father, in the Spirit, and became Incarnate. He is God with us.
- The Spirit is sent from the Father, by the some, and indwells us. He is God in us.
- (Or “The Son is God with us by becoming one of us. The Spirit is God with us by living among us.”)
3. Who He is in us:
The life of the mission of the church: Acts 1:7-8
God Himself in us: Romans 8:8-9
4. What this means for us:
- God is with us. His life is open to us. He has invited us in and included us.
- What we were missing—true life, true connection to God—God gives us by sending His Spirit into our hearts. Everything is dead and broken without Him. Everything is fixed and alive with Him.
- We have the power to obey Him, because He is in us.
- We can really know Jesus, and the Father. In other words, the Father sent the Son to become One of us, He died for us and now lives forever as a perfected Man and the Son of God, and then the Spirit came to live in our hearts—we know God, Father, Son and Spirit.