We see clearly in scripture that God wants us to pray.
He also gives us instruction about what will mess our praying up.
Here’s a list of things that are mentioned in scripture as hindering or ruining both our ability to pray and our prayer’s ability to have power with God.
- “Regarding” or “cherishing” sin in my heart. (Psalm 66:18)
- Oppression of the poor and lack of attention to justice. (Proverbs 21:13, Isaiah 58:1-59:3)
- Violence. (Isaiah 1:15-17, Isaiah 59:1)
- Refusal to listen to God’s revealed will. (Proverbs 28:9)
- Asking for things simply to satisfy my lusts. (James 4:3)
- Refusal to forgive others. (Mark 11:25)
- Mistreating my wife. (1 Peter 3:7)
- Doubting when I ask. (James 1:6-8)
- Refusal to reconcile and agree with the body of Christ. (Matthew 5:23-24, Matthew 18:19)