I have family in from out of town who arrived after the prayer meeting Sunday night, which explains my absence from both Monday night and the blog here. So this is a few days after the fact, and if you were with us this past weekend, you’re already halfway through your week and there’s a chance it has all faded into the past for you, but I wanted to take a minute to reflect on our time together (for both those who joined us and those who didn’t). Here’s some of my thoughts, a couple days removed:
- It is always good to be together. There’s just no substitute for Christians gathering together physically, in the same place, to look into each other’s eyes and hear each other’s voices. There’s no substitute for eating and singing together. There’s no substitute for studying the word together. What a great time. Hebrews 10:24-25 anyone? Matthew 18:20?
- The Word of God is our best guide. I’d never done anything exactly like this before, and one of the best parts of the experience for me was discovering what it felt like to be led through a weekend by Paul (so to speak), and through him, by the Holy Spirit. So, what we were talking about, thinking about, and feeling as we went along was totally directed by what section of Colossians we were in. Through His word, God guided us through the weekend. That experience of a sustained time of being under the word, together, was so edifying for me. Did anyone else notice this?
- There are such powerful truths in Colossians. Isn’t it a great letter? Isn’t it so applicable to our times?
- The things we need are in the Word. Life is busy and confusing. It is easy to forget the most basic things. And one thing we always need to remember is this facet of how God has built the universe: He has created a written message which contains everything we need to know for our soul’s wholeness, and through it He reveals Himself. So whatever we might think we need, the truth is, when we give ourselves time to really encounter Him in His word, we find out that He has it all, and that He gives Himself to us in His word. Or, as Paul says in Colossians: “In Christ are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge…and you are complete in Him!”
- We have a great group with lots of potential. If I could get personal here for a moment, I’m really excited about the part of our church I’m getting to serve with right now (aka–you guys). When I think about those of us that were there this weekend, and then think further still about all of you that didn’t come, I get freshly excited to be part of this all with you. We live in intense times, and we (the young adults fellowship) are perfectly situated in so many ways to affect the world we live in. The summer ahead seems rife with possibility for us. The things that were happening through the word this weekend can only bear good fruit. Let’s continue to yield ourselves to God and see what He’ll do in, among, and through us!
I’d love to hear your responses, and any lasting thing you’ve taken away from the weekend. And I’m already looking forward to next Monday night and returning to looking at Christ’s lordship over our whole lives. See you!