Maybe you’re one of those people whose brain always works right. But for most of us, we have times when, to put it mildly, weird thoughts come into our heads. Richard Baxter offers some helpful advice on what to do about that…
None of God’s servants are free of inconsistent and sinful thoughts.
For such thoughts, they must:
- ask for daily forgiveness, and
- rejoice that they have a sufficient Savior and remedy for them, and that, accordingly, sin will finally lead only to the exalting of grace.
But if they should excessively attend to and be troubles by every groundless thought, it would merely be a snare to divert them from almost all their greater duties. Would you like it if your employee began noticing and worrying about insignificant imperfections in his work instead of doing his work?
In other words:
- Understand these things are common,
- Ask for forgiveness when you need to,
- Rejoice that Jesus forgives all sin, and then…
- Stop thinking about it, and move on.