Here’s the references from last night’s study
What Isaiah said:
7:10-16 The Solution? A Baby-“God with Us”
8:16-9:7 Darkness and War will be done away with, because a Child will be born (“Mighty God”)
40:9-12 The good news: God is coming
42:1-8 Servant Song: God is sending the Servant to establish His rule
50:4-7 The Servant will suffer
52:13-53:8 The Servant will die
59:4-60:3 God will do it Himself (with his “Arm”)
Summing Up Isaiah’s Prophecy: Things are bad because of human sin, but God will send someone who will finally make everything right. He’ll suffer and die for sin. God will come Himself and make everything right.
What Jesus & The Apostles said: The Same Thing
Luke 1:15-17, 26-35; 4:16-19
John 1:1-4, 14; 14, 18
Hebrews 1:1-3; 4:14-5:10; 9:26; 4-9
So what can we say?
1. The incarnation is God’s way of showing us who He is:
- He is the kind of God who wants to be with us.
- He is able and willing to do what is necessary to heal the breach. (He Loves Us.)
- He can only be revealed fully by a person.
- He is Father, Son and Spirit.
- He is willing to work through weakness and insignificance.
- He took up our humanity to save us.
2. The incarnation also showed us who we were:
- Lost in sin.
- Not Forsaken.