Last Monday night we began our study of the how God has revealed Himself to be three in one, and what that means for us. Here are the notes:
Intro: Why we’re doing this:
- Not to get smart,
- To know God better—it’s really who God is.
- It’s an essential piece of your Christian understanding.
1. The Trinity saved you when you were born again (Galatians 3:1-2, 8-14; 4:3-7)
1. You heard the message of Jesus (3:1, 13; 4:3-5)
2. You believed (3:2)
3. You received the Spirit (3:2; 14; 4:6). That is, the Spirit of the God’s Son who makes us cry, “Father.”
See also Titus 3:1-7 – The Love of God appeared in the Son, who saved us by the Spirit.
2. The Trinity is how you know God now. (John 14:8-11; 15-18) This way God is, is how you can “have a relationship” with God. We know the Father by knowing Jesus (14:9) We know Jesus by having the Spirit (14:18 + 23; 15:26). See also John 14:26 and 1 John 4:10-15. The Helper comes to us from the Father in Jesus’ name. And see John 16:5-7. This is a better way to live and know God than having Jesus in bodily form with us.
3. The Trinity saved you in the death and resurrection of Christ
Heb 9:11-14 – Jesus was on the cross offering Himself to God through the Spirit
1 Peter 3:18; Rom 8:11 – Jesus was made alive by the Spirit
Summing it up:
- This is the God you know. They way you can know Him is because He is this way. (if He wasn’t…)
- Do you know Him? Do you have the Spirit in you? (Rom 8:9)
- You can…He wants you to know Him. God is a communicator…He is a friend-maker. He has revealed Himself, and if you trust Him, He will fill you with His Spirit and make you alive.